The Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis & Johnny Griffin Quintet The Tenor Scene Numbered Limited Edition 200g LP (Stereo)
TBA pre-order your copy today! Orders with both pre-order and in stock items will have all in stock items shipped immediately!
Numbered, Limited Edition 200 Gram LP! Only the 1st 1,000 Copies are Numbered! Pressed at Quality Record Pressings!
Mastered by Kevin Gray & Cut from the Original Stereo 100% Analog Master Tapes!
This item not eligible for any further discount offers!
Part of the ultimate audiophile Prestige stereo reissues from Analogue Productions — 25 of the most collectible, rarest, most audiophile-sounding Rudy Van Gelder recordings ever made. All mastered from the original analog master tapes by mastering maestro Kevin Gray. 200-gram LPs pressed at state-of -the-art plant Quality Record Pressings and plated by Gary Salstrom. Deep groove label pressings, tip-on jackets on thick cardboard stock.
During the two-year existence of their "Tough Tenors" quintet, Eddie "Lockjaw"
Davis (a Prestige artist) and Johnny Griffin (under contract to Riverside/Jazzland)
satisfied their contractual obligations by recording five albums for each
company. This was the pair's first for Prestige, and the first of a four-album
series taped over the course of an extremely productive evening at the legendary
Minton's Playhouse in Harlem. The album, also known as The Breakfast Show in an
earlier reissue, gives the rhythm section several opportunities to shine, with
Ben Riley's drums dominant on "Woody'n You," "Bingo Domingo" featuring Larry
Gale's bass, and Junior Mance's piano solo almost stealing the show on "Light
and Lovely." It is the leaders, though, who consistently deliver with their
complimentary brand of intensity, which is heard at the boil throughout and
reaches a particular peak when they exchange ideas on "Straight, No Chaser."
• 200g Vinyl LP
• Numbered, Limited Edition, Less Than 1000 Records per stamper, released in limited quantities
• Only the 1st 1,000 Copies are Numbered!
• The Original 100% Analog Master Tapes were used working with only the Best Mastering Studios!
• Mastered by Kevin Gray & Plated by Gary Salstrom
• Plated and Pressed at Quality Record Pressings on Virgin Vinyl
• Meticulous Test Pressing Evaluation and Quality Control
• Deluxe Packaging using the highest quality jackets and rice paper inner sleeves
• Officially Licensed & Authorized for release by the Record Label
Eddie Lockjaw Davis, tenor saxophone
Johnny Griffin, tenor saxophone
Ben Riley, drums
Larry Gale, bass
Junior Mance, piano
1. Light and Lovely
2. Straight, No Chaser
3. Woody'n You
4. Bingo Domingo
5. I'll Remember April
Recorded Live at Minton's Playhouse, New York City, NY