Ella Fitzgerald Sings Songs From Let No Man Write My Epitaph Hybrid Stereo SACD
Stereophile 2014 Record 2 Die 4!
Mastered by George Marino at Sterling Sound from the Absolute Original Analog Master Tapes!
Considered one of Ella's greatest recordings, she's backed on this 1960 release
by pianist Paul Smith. Let No Man Write My Epitaph was a 1960 Hollywood movie
featuring Fitzgerald. The album hits at a depth of emotional understanding that
critics often complained was missing in Ella's reading of jazz lyrics, and once
again establishes her as one of the supreme interpreters of the Great American
This album is one of those rare recordings that are often overlooked because of its relative obscurity. Of the thirteen songs recorded and presented here, only three were actually used in the film. Ella performs tracks like "Misty," "Angel Eyes," "Black Coffee" and a host of others with breathtaking finesse and sensitivity. If you had to have one Ella Fitzgerald record, as everyone should, this would surely be a worthy candidate.
• Super Audio CD
• SACD Stereo SACD Layer
• This Hybrid SACD contains a 'Red Book' Stereo CD Layer which is playable on most conventional CD Players!
• Mastered by George Marino at Sterling Sound!
• Cut from the Absolute Original Analog Master Tapes!
• Original Verve Label Recording
1. Black Coffee
2. Angel Eyes
3. I Cried For You
4. I Can't Give You Anything But Love
5. Then You've Never Been Blue
6. I Hadn't Anyone Till You
7. My Melancholy Baby
9. September Song
10. One For My Baby (And One More For the Road)
11. Who's Sorry Now
12. I'm Getting Sentimental Over You
13. Reach For Tomorrow