Michael Fremer rated 11/11 Music, 11/11 Sound!
TAS Super LP List! Special Merit: Collections
RCA Living Stereo 200 Gram Vinyl! Mastered by Bernie Grundman from the Original Analog Tape!
Pressed at Quality Record Pressings! Includes Book!
This item not eligible for any further discount offers!
RCA Living Stereo classical LPs - the gold standard for top quality orchestral
performance and sound!
Ernest Ansermet conducts music from Swan Lake, Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty,
Sylphides, Giselle, Copelia, Boutique Fantasque, and Carnaval.
"If this is one of your “go to” sonic spectaculars and you have other versions, you ought to consider adding this one, though you'll have to wait for the re-re-press. Both the sound, including dead quiet vinyl, as well as the packaging are first-rate." - Michael Fremer, 11/11 Music, 11/11 Sound
In the hearts of thousands, No. 1 on the Top RCA list. While the bulk of
Ansermet's recordings were made with L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, there
were a few with the Paris Conservatoire Orchestra and the very occasional foray
into recordings with London orchestras, one of these being with the Orchestra of
the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, in 1959.
Elusive Disc is excited for the return of such a classic. Not just for the music, which is superb, but also for the detailed packaging, which in this case takes the form of a 22-page lavishly illustrated book that's integrated into the tip-on gatefold jacket. If you're new to ballet, this pictorial history will introduce you to some of its most famous productions — old favorites such as The Nutcracker, Swan Lake and The Sleeping Beauty, for example — but also less familiar tales such as Carnaval, Les Sylphides and Coppélia. You'll also make the aquaintance of famous ballerinas of the Royal company, such as Margot Fonteyn, Nadia Nerina and Beryl Grey, as well as choreographers such as Jules Perrot and male dancers Alexis Rassine and Michael Somes.
Musically you can't get better than the 200-gram dead-silent platters pressed by Quality Record Pressings, makers of the world's finest-sounding LPs. Of course the best vinyl reflects the best mastering, and that's accomplished here by Bernie Grundman working from the original analog tape. Stoughton Printing expertly handled the intricate gatefold tip-on package.
Audiophilia Online Magazine wrote: "This is the stuff of which dreams are
made. The Royal Ballet Gala is one of the finest RCAs recorded in London's
Kingsway Hall. The chunks of great ballet music are well served by orchestra,
conductor and engineer. Performances are executed to a very high standard - the
Royal Opera House Orchestra, both then and now, rank as one of the finest of
"Conductor Ansermet keeps the pace moving, giving the listener the impression
of a dance event rather than a dramatic concert hall reading. With the exception
of some of the Tchaikovsky scenes, the music is light and remains so under
Ansermet's gentle touch. Each ballet is given full attention by the players,
something not always attained at Covent Garden during long ballet nights! The
threat of eternity does have it's merits. The recorded sound is simply amazing!
Lustrous is one word that comes to mind, accurate is another.
"Tonally, Messrs. Williamson and Wilkinson have used their considerable talents
to capture the orchestra superbly. Woodwind and strings glow and resonate,
transporting this listener to a time when simpler recording was better. Brass
ring out thrillingly and percussion effects are very musical. Be it a bang,
swish, rattle, crack or snap, each percussionist is situated perfectly within
the beautiful Kingsway soundstage. Even the difficult-to-record sound of the
celeste is captured in it's purely mechanical form. It's delicate sound is heard
to great effect during the Nutcracker - originating stage left, the sound decays
across the stage of Kingsway with sparkling beauty. Wonderful."
Producer: Michael Williamson
Engineer Kenneth Wilkinson
• 200g Vinyl 33 1/3rpm
• Double LP + Book
• Pressed at Quality Record Pressings
• Mastered by Bernie Grundman from original analog tape
Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden
Ernest Ansermet, conductor
1. Nutcracker Suite - March
2. Nutcracker Suite - Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy
3. Nutcracker Suite - Arabian Dance
4. Nutcracker Suite - Chinese Dance
5. Nutcracker Suite - Dance Of The Toy Flutes
6. Nutcracker Suite - Waltz Of The Flowers
7. La Boutique Fantasque - Tarantella
8. La Boutique Fantasque - Andante Mosso
9. La Boutique Fantasque - Can-Can
10. Coppelia - Introduction (Allegro Marcato) And Mazurka - Act 1
11. Coppelia - Introduction (Andante ) And Waltz - Act 1
12. Coppelia - Czardas - Act 1
13. Coppelia - Valse De La Poupee - Act 2
14. Giselle - Introduction And Waltz - Act 1
15. Giselle - Pas De Deux And Variation - Act 2
1. Swan Lake - Dance Of The Little Swans (Pas De Quatre) - Act 2
2. Swan Lake - Pas De Deux - Act 2
3. Swan Lake - Waltz - Act 2
4. Carnaval - Pierror
5. Carnaval - Reconnaissance
6. Carnaval - Aveu
7. Carnaval - Pantalon Et Columbine
8. Sleeping Beauty - Introduction - The Lilac Fairy - Prologue
9. Sleeping Beauty - Rose Adagio - Pase D'Action - Act 1
10. Sleeping Beauty - Waltz - Act 1
11. Les Sylphides - Overture: Prelude In A Major, Opus 28, No. 7
12. Les Sylphides - Mazurka In C Major, Opus 67, No. 3
13. Les Sylphides - Grande Valse Brillante In E Flat Major, Opus 18