God Don't Never Change: The Songs of Blind Willie Johnson LP
Vinyl LP Celebrates Songs of Blind Willie Johnson!
Features Lucinda Williams, Cowboy Junkies, Tom Waits, Rickie Lee Jones & More!
A stunning collection of artists and performances celebrate the timeless appeal
of legendary gospel bluesman Blind Willie Johnson.
Blind Willie Johnson’s seminal songs have inspired artists like Led Zeppelin,
Bob Dylan and Eric Clapton to interpret his musical vision. Produced by Jeffrey
Gaskill, who helmed 2003’s Gotta Serve Somebody: The Gospel Songs Of Bob Dylan,
God Don’t Never Change hits artistic pay dirt like few tribute albums have, and
is brimming with outstanding performances by some of the biggest names in music.
The artists are well-chosen and totally committed, and the new versions capture
the raw beauty of the original recordings. There’s not a false note in the batch
and moments of revelation are everywhere.
From Sinéad O’Connor’s righteous cries on “Trouble Will Soon Be Over” and Derek
Trucks’ and Susan Tedeschi’s reverent reading of “Keep Your Lamp Trimmed And
Burning,” from Lucinda Williams’ slide guitar-fueled lament in “Nobody’s Fault
But Mine” and Tom Waits’ virtual embodiment of Johnson himself on “John The
Revelator,” this record is packed with transcendent recordings that speak as
much to the greatness of the performers as they do the enduring legacy of Blind
"The tracks on God Don't Ever Change run the gamut from pop to gospel to roots music, and there's a decidedly contemporaneous feel to these songs." - Greg Cahill, The Absolute Sound, 4/5 Music, 4/5 Sonics
• Vinyl LP
• Includes limited time download
1. The Soul of a Man - Tom Waits
2. It's Nobody's Fault But Mine - Lucinda Williams
3. Keep Your Lamp Trimmed and Burning - Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi
4. Jesus Is Coming Soon - Cowboy Junkies
5. Mother's Children Have A Hard Time - Blind Boys of Alabama
6. Trouble Will Soon Be Over - Sinead O'Connor
1. Bye and Bye I'm Going To See the King - Luther Dickinson feat. The Rising
Star Fife & Drum Band
2. God Don't Never Change - Lucinda Williams
3. John the Revelator - Tom Waits
4. Let Your Light Shine On me - Maria McKee
5. Dark Was the Night - Cold Was the Ground - Rickie Lee Jones