Jackie McLean Lights Out! Numbered Limited Edition 200g LP (Mono)
Numbered, Limited Edition 200 Gram LP! Only the 1st 1,000 Copies are Numbered! Pressed at Quality Record Pressings!
Mastered by Kevin Gray & Cut from the Original Mono 100% Analog Master Tapes!
This item not eligible for any further discount offers!
Part of the ultimate audiophile Prestige mono reissues from Analogue Productions — 25 of the most collectible, rarest, most audiophile-sounding Rudy Van Gelder recordings ever made. All mastered from the original analog master tapes by mastering maestro Kevin Gray. 200-gram LPs pressed at state-of -the-art plant Quality Record Pressings and plated by Gary Salstrom. Deep groove label pressings, tip-on jackets on thick cardboard stock.
A perpetual favorite among Jackie McLean's earlier recordings, Lights Out finds
the hard-swinging young alto saxophonist in 1956 still very much under the wing
of Charlie Parker, who had died less than a year earlier. Yet McLean was
beginning to find ways out of the seductive artistic security of Bird
imitations. For one thing, he was experimenting with tonal variations. For
another, he was working with Charles Mingus, and Mingus's genius as a leader
included forcing musicians to look deeply into their most cherished stylistic
The McLean of Lights Out is the hot young bebopper with a slightly acid edge to
his sound and a solid blues foundation under everything he played. McLean and
trumpeter Donald Byrd occasionally engage in the "pecking" technique of mutual
improvisation they developed as members of the George Wallington Quintet.
"During his avant-garde period in the early 60s McLean dismissed his earlier recordings, but whatever impossible standards he was setting for himself, his playing on them still sounds fresh, creative, and inspired... The only way McLean's bright, biting sound was ever heard to better advantage was live." - Duck Baker, The Absolute Sound, April 2013, 3.5 Music, 5/5 Sonics
• 200g Vinyl LP
• Numbered, Limited Edition, Less Than 1000 Records per stamper, released in limited quantities
• Only the 1st 1,000 Copies are Numbered!
• The Original 100% Analog Master Tapes were used working with only the Best Mastering Studios!
• Mastered by Kevin Gray & Plated by Gary Salstrom
• Plated and Pressed at Quality Record Pressings on Virgin Vinyl
• Meticulous Test Pressing Evaluation and Quality Control
• Deluxe Packaging using the highest quality jackets and rice paper inner sleeves
• Officially Licensed & Authorized for release by the Record Label
Jackie McLean, alto sax
Donald Byrd, trumpet
Elmo Hope, piano
Doug Watkins, bass
Arthur Taylor, drums
1. Lights Out
4. A Foggy Day