Double LP Features Performances By All-Star Line-Up!
2018 Blues Music Award Nominee!
• Soul Blues Female Artist
For six decades, Mavis Staples has been the solid rock of American music.
Alongside the family group she is so indentified with, the Staple Singers, she
has managed to transform herself as she goes, yet never alter. From the
Delta-inflected gospel sound she helped create in the 1950s, to the engaged
protest of the civil rights era, and then, amazingly, on pop radio in the Stax
era with a series of soul anthems, from "I’ll Take You There" to "Respect
Yourself," Staples carried on, her warm embrace of a voice the only constant.
How many musicians can claim this: to exist outside a scene, outside genre, yet
weaving themselves into the fabric of soul, R&B, jazz, gospel, rock and blues?
Many of the maverick names that come to mind are composers as well; that Staples
has created her legacy as an interpreter of others makes her achievement all the
more impressive. She gives voice to others; more than that, she gives voice to
entire movements and to eras.
On Wednesday, November 19, 2014, an extraordinary collection of music artists
came together for "I'll Take You There – Celebrating 75 Years Of Mavis Staples",
a special concert event taping honoring one of the most influential singers of
our time. The concert took place at the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago, IL, and
featured star-studded collaborations by esteemed artists paying tribute to Mavis
Staples' music. Grammy Award-winner Don Was served as music director, leading an
all-star band backing the amazing performers who took the stage at this
incredible concert event taping.
This double LP features 15 once-in-a-lifetime performances from the likes of
Buddy Miller, Patty Griffin, Emmylou Harris, Michael McDonald, Glen Hansard,
Aaron Neville, Eric Church, Taj Mahal, Gregg Allman, Bonnie Raitt, Win Butler
and Regine Chassagne of Arcade Fire, and Jeff Tweedy. Each artist honors Mavis
Staples by singing her classic tunes, culminating in a full ensemble jam session
of "The Weight."
Selections from the concert’s audio recording include some of Mavis's classics,
like "I’ll Take You There," "Will The Circle Be Unbroken," and "People Get
• Double LP
• Gatefold jacket
• Recorded live at Chicago's Auditorium Theatre, November 19, 2014
1. Woke Up This Morning (With My Mind On Jesus) - Buddy Miller
2. Waiting For My Child To Come Home - Patty Griffin
3. Far Celestial Shore - Emmylou Harris
4. Freedom Highway - Michael McDonald
5. People Get Ready - Glen Hansard
1. Respect Yourself - Mavis Staples & Aaron Neville
2. Eyes On The Prize - Eric Church
3. Wade In The Water - Taj Mahal
4. Have A Little Faith - Gregg Allman
5. Turn Me Around - Mavis Staples & Bonnie Raitt
1. Will The Circle Be Unbroken - Mavis Staples, Gregg Allman, Taj Mahal, Aaron
Neville & Bonnie Raitt
2. Slippery People - Mavis Staples, Win Butler & Regine Chassagne
3. You Are Not Alone - Mavis Staples & Jeff Tweedy
1. I'll Take You There - Mavis Staples
2. The Weight - Full Ensemble