SOMA RECORDS V3 A MAN'S GOTTA BE A MAN 150g LP
The record world was a completely different place in 1965.
Kids wanting to take home a piece of the rock 'n' roll action they frugged to at the Armory dance last weekend or a wild tune they heard the local bossjocks spin on the way home from school, inevitably had to deal with seven-inchers made by independent record labels. The single was the thing in the mid-60's, not the album. In even the hippest big city record emporiums, you could thumb through the entire recorded canon of British Invasion-influenced LPs - no more than a hundred or so - in about five minutes. But, ahhh, those singles. And nobody did them better than the shoebox companies sprouting up like bread mold all over the country, labels who could tap into the best local talent and get their show-stopping songs into the local record shops.
The Soma Record Company of Minneapolis caught the national spotlight by releasing hits from the likes of the Castaways and the Gestures. But "Liar Liar" and "Run, Run, Run" are just the tip ofthe iceberg. If you've always suspected that thousands of great singles from the '60s that you've yet to hear are lurking in the bushes, guess what? You're right. Step into the dusty Soma vaults with us - brush aside those cobwebs, if you would - point your flashlight towards the strobelight flickering at the far end of the tunnel and keep walking. When the cool Fender 'n Farfisa sounds finally grab you by the shirt collar, just keep telling yourself: "This isn't a dream. It's what I was born to do."
1. The Chancellors: I Can Tell
2. The Castaways: A Man's Gotta Be A Man
3. The High Spirits: (Turn On Your) Love Light
4. The Gestures: Don't Mess Around
5. The Del Counts: Let The Good Times Roll
6. The Titans: Reveille Rock
7. The Messengers: My Baby
8. The Gamins: Freeway
9. The Gestures: Run
10. Run, Run
11. The Chancellors: Surf Beat
12. The Torres: I've Had It
13. The Shades: Please Please Please
14. The Fabulous Rumbles: I'll Be Gone
15. The Titans: Tchaikovsky Rides Again
16. The Castaways: Should Happen To Me
17. The Sounds Like Us: The Other Side Of A Record