The Sonny Rollins Quintet Rollins Plays for Bird Numbered Limited Edition 200g LP (Mono)
Numbered, Limited Edition 200 Gram LP! Only the 1st 1,000 Copies are Numbered! Pressed at Quality Record Pressings!
Mastered by Kevin Gray & Cut from the Original Mono 100% Analog Master Tapes!
This item not eligible for any further discount offers!
Part of the ultimate audiophile Prestige mono reissues from Analogue Productions — 25 of the most collectible, rarest, most audiophile-sounding Rudy Van Gelder recordings ever made. All mastered from the original analog master tapes by mastering maestro Kevin Gray. 200-gram LPs pressed at state-of -the-art plant Quality Record Pressings and plated by Gary Salstrom. Deep groove label pressings, tip-on jackets on thick cardboard stock.
Rollins Plays for Bird is an album by jazz saxophonist Sonny Rollins, recorded
for the Prestige label, featuring performances by Rollins with Kenny Dorham,
Wade Legge, George Morrow, and Max Roach.
As the tenor sax is not in the same key as an alto, Sonny Rollins would have to
transpose a lot of music to take a tribute to Charlie Parker to a high level.
Instead Rollins has chosen standards associated with Parker, and recorded them
within a year after Bird’s passing.
The music certainly has its moments, as on the inexhaustible 27-minute medley of
seven tunes seamlessly stitched together. Rollins plays the melody on
alternating songs "I Remember You" and "They Can’t Take That Away from Me,"
Kenny Dorham has at it for "My Melancholy Baby" and "Just Friends," with Wade
Legge getting his two cents in on trio only versions of "Old Folks" and "My
Little Suede Shoes." Finally the whole band joins in on the ten-minute medley
finale "Star Eyes." Two independent selections accompany the medley: Rollins
does the ballad "I’ve Grown Accustomed to Your (Her) Face," from the musical "My
Fair Lady" and the horns finally play together for the nearly 12-minute cool
waltz "Kids Know."
Three cuts are all that are contained on this tribute to Charlie Parker, an
impressive set selected as a fitting tribute by one of Bird’s true musical
heirs, Sonny Rollins. However, the nearly 29 minute long opening medley of seven
tunes closely associated with Bird as well as the two additional selections
thoroughly convey the legacy of both of these legendary saxophonists.
• 200g Vinyl LP
• Numbered, Limited Edition, Less Than 1000 Records per stamper, released in limited quantities
• Only the 1st 1,000 Copies are Numbered!
• The Original 100% Analog Master Tapes were used working with only the Best Mastering Studios!
• Mastered by Kevin Gray & Plated by Gary Salstrom
• Plated and Pressed at Quality Record Pressings on Virgin Vinyl
• Meticulous Test Pressing Evaluation and Quality Control
• Deluxe Packaging using the highest quality jackets and rice paper inner sleeves
• Officially Licensed & Authorized for release by the Record Label
Sonny Rollins, tenor saxophone
Kenny Dorham, trumpet
Wade Legge, piano
George Morrow, bass
Max Roach, drums
1. Medley: I Remember You / My Melancholy Baby / Old Folks / They Can't Take
That Away From Me / Just Friends / My Little Suede Shoes / Star Eyes
2. I've Grown Accustomed to Your Face
3. Kids Know