This album features duets with Lucinda Williams, Steve Winwood, B.B. King, Bettye LaVette, John Popper, Sharon Jones, Brian May and more!
As the original guitarist of Stax Records house band Booker T. and the M.G.'s
and voted one of Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitarist of All Time, Steve
Cropper's album "Dedicated" is a tribute to his favorite band The 5 Royales.
If Yankee Stadium is "the house that Babe Ruth built," Stax Records is "the
house that Booker T, and the MG's built." Integral to that potent combination is
MG rhythm guitarist extraordinaire Steve Cropper. As a guitarist, A & R man,
engineer, producer, songwriting partner of Otis Redding, Eddie Floyd and a dozen
others and founding member of both Booker T. and the MG's and The Mar-Keys,
Cropper was literally involved in virtually every record issued by Stax from the
fall of 1961 through year end 1970.
Cropper strummed a guitar for the first time at the age of 10 and mail ordered
his first guitar at the age of 14 when he began playing with local musicians.
His guitar heroes at the time included Chet Atkins, Chuck Berry, Tal Farlow,
Jimmy Reed and Lowman Pauling of the "5 Royales".
"The first time I was exposed to The 5 Royales was through Duck Dunn, who was the bass player in my high school band. His brother worked for King Record Distributors in Memphis, and I heard the song called "Think" with these great guitar licks in it and I said, "Man, that's what I want to sound like." = Steve Cropper
Steve Cropper co-wrote "Knock On Wood" with Eddie Floyd, "In the Midnight Hour"
with Wilson Pickett and "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay" with Otis Redding.
Steve Cropper's career includes playing with the likes of Rod Stewart, Levon
Helm, The Jeff Beck Group, Ringo Starr and John Lennon. He also played guitar on
the cover of The Velvet Underground's "Femme Fatale" which appears on Big Star's
Third/Sister Lovers. He went on to figure prominently in the Blues Brothers Band
with drummer Willie Hall.
• Vinyl LP
• An array of guest artists including Steve Winwood, Bettye LaVette, Willie Jones, B.B. King, Shemekia Copeland, Lucinda Williams, Dan Penn, John Popper, Delbert McClinton, Dylan Leblanc, Sharon Jones & Buddy Miller.
• Includes Bonus CD of the entire album!
Steve Cropper, electric guitar
David Hood, bass guitar
Spooner Oldham, piano, electric piano, organ
Steve Ferrone, drums, percussion
Steve Jordan, drums
Neal Sugarman, tenor sax
Jon Tiven, tenor sax
1. Thirty Second Lover - with Steve Winwood
2. Don't Be Ashamed - wih Bettye LaVette & Willie Jones
3. Baby Don't Do It - with B.B. King & Shamekia Copeland
4. Dedicated To the One I Love - with Lucinda Williams & Dan Penn
5. My Sugar Sugar - with John Popper
6. Right Around The Cornet - with Delbert McClinton
7. Think - Steve Cropper instrumental
1. Come On & Save Me - with Dylan LeBlanc & Sharon Jones
2. Help Me Somebody - with Steve Cropper instrumental
3. I Do - with Brian May
4. Messin' Up - with Sharon Jones
5. Say It - with Bettye LaVette
6. Someone Made You For Me - with Dan Penn
7. The Slummer The Slum - with Buddy Miller
8. When I Get Like This - with Lucinda Williams