SUFJAN STEVENS MICHIGAN 2LP
Featured in Michael Fremer's Heavy Rotation in the April 2005 Issue of Stereophile!
Sufjan Stevens, Asthmatic Kitty and Sounds Familyre announce Sufjan's third
full-length album, a collection of songs for his birth-state, Michigan, The
Great Lake State. Composed as a geographical tone poem, Michigan follows a
metaphysical expedition through the idiosyncrasies of Middle America. Drawing
from personal anecdote, regional history and state heritage, Stevens mixes
social and political grievances with songs about snowmobiles, Henry Ford, the
Detroit race riots and love. Michigan's songs resonate with a range of sources –
Vince Guaraldi, Terry Riley and Nick Drake – in executing Stevens' peculiar
palette that is simultaneously rock and bluegrass, jazz and pop, a style The
Village Voice appraises as "Arthur Lee meets the Book of Psalms."
1. Flint (For The Unemployed And Underpaid)
2. All Good Naysayers, Speak Up! Or Forever Hold Your Peace!
3. For The Widows In Paradise, For The Fatherless In Ypsilanti
4. Say Yes! To M!ch!gan!
5. The Upper Peninsula
6. Tahquamenon Falls
8. Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head! (Rebuild! Restore! Reconsider!)
10. Alanson, Crooked River
1. Sleeping Bear, Sault Saint Marie
2. They Also Mourn Who Do Not Wear Black (For The Homeless In Muskegon)
3. Oh God, Where Are You Now? (In Pickeral Lake? Pigeon? Marquette? Mackinaw?)
4. Redford (For Yia-Yia & Pappou)
5. Vito's Ordination Song
6. Marching Band
7. Pickerel Lake
8. Niagara Falls
9. Presidents and Magistrates