2013 Grammy Award Winner for Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media & Best Rock Song "Cut Me Some Slack!"
180 Gram Double Vinyl Contains Music By Foo Fighers' Frontman Dave Grohl Collaborating With Iconic Musicians Paul McCartney, Stevie Nicks, Trent Reznor, Krist Novoselic and more!
Recorded with the Historic Sound City Neve 8028 Tube Console! Experience the distinctive sound that can only be achieved with analogue equipment!
Deep in the San Fernando Valley, behind the train tracks and amidst dilapidated
warehouses was rock 'n' roll's best kept secret. Sound City, America's
greatest unsung recording studio, housed a legendary one-of-a-kind recording
console, and became the birth place to the seminal albums that defined 20th
century music. Fleetwood Mac, Neil Young, Rick Springfield, Tom Petty, Nirvana,
amongst many others, all put magic to tape within these walls. It was rock n'
roll hallowed ground. Dave Grohl's "Sound City: Real To Reel tells the
story of real rock 'n' roll history and celebrates the human elements of music,
as Grohl gathers some of rock's greatest artist to collaborate with. Using Sound
City's legendary analog console, together they continue to create musical
miracles in a digital world.
Sound City Real To Reel is the companion album to the Dave Grohl-directed
feature length documentary film. The project was conceived by Dave Grohl
(Nirvana, Foo Fighers) after purchasing the legendary custom-built Neve 8028
recording console from the now defunct Sound City Studios.
Considered by many to be the crown jewel of analog recording equipment, that
board has recorded such artists as Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Johnny
Cash, Guns 'N Roses, Metallica, Cheap Trick, Fear, Nirvana, Rage Against The
Machine, Rick Springfield, Queens of The Stone Age, Nine Inch Nails, and
countless other musical legends over the past 40 years.
The album features Grohl enlisting many of those musical legends - and then some
(hello Paul McCartney) to demonstrate the human element of creating and
recording music, teaming up to write and record bran new original songs on the
The first single "Cut Me Some Slack", features Paul McCartney, Dave Grohl, Krist
Novoselic and Pat Smear with the original studio recording of the track recently
performed for the historic 12-12-12 benefit for Hurricane Sandy victims.
Grohl's personal connection to Sound City began with the 1991 recording of
Nirvana's breakthrough album, Nevermind. Selling over 30 million copies
worldwide, Nevermind changed the entire musical landscape and forever altered
the course of Dave Grohl's life.
A brand new collection of all-new all-original songs; each song featured on the
album was composed and recorded exclusively for the film within its own 24-hour
session on that console after it was reinstalled in Grohl and his Foo Fighers'
own 606 Studios. The new tracks - featuring an amazing and idiosyncratic cast of
collaborators including Paul McCartney, Grohl's former Nirvana and current Foo
Fighters bandmates, Stevie Nicks, Rick Springfield, Trent Reznor, Joshua Homme
of Queens of the Stone Age, Rick Nielsen of Cheap trick, Lee Ving of Fear, Corey
Taylor of Slipknot, Brad Wilk and Tim Commerford of Rage Against the Machine,
"For me to sit down and jam with someone like Rick Springfield was really
exciting," says Grohl. "When he sits down with a guitar it's like he's 14
years old. He rips. We basically wrote and arranged a song in a day."
• 180 Gram Double Vinyl
• Splice Free
• High Fidelity
• Superior Quality
• New Album Recorded for the film Sound City
• Limited Time Digital Download Code
• Gatefold Jacket
• Featuring Dave Grohl, Robert Levon Been, Chris Gross, Joshua Homme, Alain Johannes, Paul McCartney, Stevie Nicks, Trent Reznor, Rick Springfield, Corey Taylor, Lee Ving & More
LP1 - Side A:
1. Heaven and All (Robert Levon Been, Dave Grohl & Peter Hayes)
2. Time Slowing Down (Chris Goss, Tim Commerford, Dave Grohl & Brad Wilk)
3. You Can't Fix This (Stevie Nicks, Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Rami Jaffee) LP1 - Side B:
1. The Man That Never Was (Rick Springfield, Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Nate Mendel, Pat Smear)
2. Your Wife Is Calling (Lee Ving, Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Alain Johannes, Pat Smear)
3. From Can To Can't (Corey Taylor, Dave Grohl, Rick Nielsen, Scott Reeder) LP2 - Side C:
1. Centipede (Joshua Homme, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl, Alain Johannes)
2. A Trick With No Sleeve (Alain Johannes, Dave Grohl, Joshua Homme)
3. Cut Me Some Slack (Paul McCartney, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, Pat Smear) LP2 - Side D:
1. If I Were Me (Dave Grohl, Jessy Greene, Rami Jaffee, Jim Keltner)
2. Mantra (Dave Grohl, Joshua Homme, Trent Reznor)