Tchaikovsky Sinfonies Nos. 4, 5 & 6 "Pathetique" 180g 3LP Box Set
Coming November 2017 pre-order your copy today! Orders with both pre-order and in stock items will have all in stock items shipped immediately!
One-Time Limited Production Only!
180g Vinyl 3LP Box Set!
Mastered From Original Analogue Master Tapes!
Pressed at Pallas in Germany!
Evgeny Mravinsky conducts the Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra for this set of
1960 recordings of Tchaikovsky's Symphonies.
"‘Incendiary’ is just the right word – this is a recording that catches fire
so early in the first movement, I’m gripped each time I listen. I enjoy the
stereo sound picture, which spotlights the utterly distinctive Soviet-Russian
quality of the Leningrad Philharmonie the frenetic energy and snarling hysteria
that Mravinsky draws from his players are still capable of shredding nerves. The
Pathétique contains deeply personal, deeply troubling music; this DG recording
may prove too theatrical for some, but it gnaws away at my soul like no other."
– Mark Pullinger, Gramophone
"At the height of the Cold War, the Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra under
its legendary principal conductor Evgeny Mravinsky visited Britain in September
1960, giving sensational concerts in Edinburgh and London which drew ecstatic
responses from both press and public. Since this virtuoso orchestra was then
poorly represented in Western record catalogues, Deutsche Grammophon’s engineers
astutely seized the opportunity to capture their playing in far superior sound
to anything that could be produced by their Soviet counterparts. Among the most
notable sessions taped in Wembley Town Hall was Mravinsky’s blazingly urgent
account of Tchaikovsky’s Fourth Symphony. Ever the perfectionist, the conductor
was so pleased with the quality of this recording that two months later he and
the orchestra agreed to record the last two symphonies for DG, this time in
Vienna’s Musikverein. Initially released on three separate stereo LPs, these
Tchaikovsky performances convey a highly-strung raw energy that remains undimmed
up to the present day. The Finale of No. 5, delivered at a manically swift pace,
is one of high points, guaranteed to take your breath away." - BBC Music
• Limited Edition - One-Time Limited Production Only
• 180g Audiophile Virgin Vinyl 3LP Box Set
• Original cover jackets
• Mastered from original Universal Music analogue master tapes
• Audiophile analogue mastering by Raillner Maillard at Emil Berliner Studios
• Pressed at Pallas GmbH in Germany
Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra
Evgeny Mravinsky, conductor
Peter Tchaikovsky (1840-1893)
Symphony No. 4 in F minor, Op. 36
1. Satz: Andante Sostenuto - Moderato Con Anima
2. Satz: Andantino in Modo di Canzona
3. Satz: Scherzo: Pizzicato Ostinato - Allegro
4. Satz: Finale: Allegro con Fuoco
Symphony No. 5 in E minor, Op. 64
1. Satz: Andante - Allegro Con Anima
2. Satz: Andante Cantabile, Con Alcuna Licenza
3. Satz: Valse: Allegro Moderato
4. Satz: Finale: Andante Maestoso - Allegro Vivace
Symphony No. 6 in B minor (H-moll) Op. 74 "Pathetique"
1. Satz: Adagio - Allegro Non Troppo
2. Satz: Allegro Con Grazia
3. Satz: Allegro Molto Vivace
4. Satz: Finale: Adagio Lamentoso