Numbered, Limited Edition! Very Limited Quantities!
Only 1,000 Numbered Copies Available!
Pressed In Japan!
Six time Grammy winners, The Chieftains are now recognized for bringing traditional Irish music to the world’s attention. They have uncovered the wealth of traditional Irish music that has accumulated over the centuries, making the music their own with a style that is as exhilarating as it is definitive.
A major collaboration album featuring some of the biggest artists in the music world, such as Sting, Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones, Sinéad O' Connor, Van Morrison, Tom Jones, Marianne Faithfull, Ry Cooder and Mark Knopfler, performing some of the best loved and known Irish tunes, ballads and songs. It is one of The Chieftains' most successful albums to date.
The track 'Have I Told You Lately' won a Grammy award for 'Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals' in 1996. 'The Long Black Veil' was also nominated for 2 other Grammys in the same year.
"With Long Black Veil, the Chieftains attempted a mainstream pop crossover by recording with rock and pop stars from the Rolling Stones and Sting to Van Morrison and Sinéad O'Connor. Instead of changing their sound to accommodate the talents of their guests, the band plays it straight. As always, their performance is superb; what is surprising is how well the pop stars sing Celtic material. None of the guest singers sound displaced or uncomfortable, which is largely due to the sympathetic performances of the Chieftains. In fact, the pairings work so well that Long Black Veil doesn't sound like an effort to broaden their audience; rather, it sounds completely natural." - Sara Sytsma, allmusic.com
• Numbered, Limited Edition
• Only 1,000 Numbered Copies Available!
• 24K Gold CD
• Pressed in Japan
Martin Fay, fiddle
Sean Keane, fiddle
Kevin Conneff, bodhran, vocals
Matt Molloy, flute
Paddy Moloney, uillean pipes, tin whistle
Derek Bell, harp, tiompan, keyboards
Sting, guest artist
Mick Jagger, guest artist
Sinead O'Connor, guest artist
Van Morrison, guest artist
Mark Knopfler, guest artist
Ry Cooder, guest artist
Marianne Faithfull, guest artist
Tom Jones, guest artist
The Rolling Stones, guest artist
1. Mo Ghile Mear ("Our Hero" with Sting)
2. The Long Black Veil (with Mick Jagger)
3. The Foggy Dew (with Sinead O'Connor)
4. Have I Told You Lately That I Love You? (with Van Morrison)
5. Changing Your Demeanour
6. The Lily Of the West (with Mark Knopfler)
7. Coast of Malabar (with Ry Cooder)
8. Dunmore Lassies (instrumental with Ry Cooder)
9. Love Is Teasin' (with Marianne Faithfull)
10. He Moved Through The Fair (with Sinead O'Connor)
11. Ferny Hill (instrumental)
12. Tennessee Waltz / Tennessee Masurka (with Tom Jones)
13. The Rocky Road to Dublin (with The Rolling Stones)