Vinyl LP Features Vocals From Natalie Merchant,
Rhiannon Giddens & More!
For more than 40 years, San Francisco's Kronos Quartet-David Harrington
(violin), John Sherba (violin), Hank Dutt (viola), and Sunny Yang (cello)-has
combined a spirit of fearless exploration with a commitment to continually
re-imagining the string quartet experience. In the process, Kronos has become
one of the world's most celebrated and influential ensembles, performing
thousands of concerts, releasing more than 50 recordings, collaborating with
many of the world's most eclectic composers and performers, and commissioning
over 850 works and arrangements for string quartet.
When Nonesuch Records celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2014, with festivals at
London's Barbican Centre and New York's Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM), Kronos
Quartet joined forces with four labelmates—Sam Amidon, Olivia Chaney, Rhiannon
Giddens, and Natalie Merchant—to perform a concert entitled Folk Songs. The
group later recorded the songs, most of which are traditional with contemporary
arrangements, with Doug Petty as the album's producer.
Pictured on the album cover, clockwise from top left: Rhiannon Giddens, David Harrington, Olivia Chaney, John Sherba, Sam Amidon, Hank Dutt, Natalie Merchant & Sunny Yang.
1. Oh Where (with Sam Amidon)
2. Ramblin' Boy (with Olivia Chaney)
3. The Butcher's Boy (wjith Natalie Merchant)
4. Factory Girl (with Rhiannon Giddens) Side B:
1. Last Kind Words
2. I See The Sign (with Sam Amidon)
3. Montaigne, que tu es haute (with Olivia Chaney)
4. Johnny Has Gone For A Soldier (with Natalie Merchant)
5. Lullaby (with Rhiannon Giddens)