The Wonderful Sounds of Female Vocals 200g 2LP
TAS Super LP List! Special Merit: Informal
An Audiophile Go-To! The Record You Grab When You Want To Show Off Your System!
All-Time Classic Performances And Recordings By All-Time Great Female Singers!
Lacquers Cut By Kevin Gray & Pressed At Quality Record Pressings On 200-gram vinyl! Packaged In A Gatefold, Deluxe, Stoughton Tip-On Jacket. Liner Notes By Michael Fremer.
This item not eligible for any further discount offers!
Female vocalists have forever been celebrated by audiophiles and music lovers alike. Whether the delivery is delicate or bombastic, a great female vocal well-recorded is just so sensuous. It's the genre that most often typifies the potential of hi-fi and what it can do to engage our emotions. It's no wonder the hallways of any hi-fi show will be resonating with the sounds of sparsely-arranged recordings of great women singers. It's the genre that best shows off the systems that manufacturers and dealers are trying to sell.
Now, you can have all of those best demo tracks on one record. Show stoppers by Julie London, Diana Krall, Rickie Lee Jones, Nina Simone, Janis Ian, Phoebe Snow, Jennifer Warnes, Dusty Springfield, Shelby Lynne and many more. Every single track is an audiophile demo classic. Drop the needle and drop your friend's jaw!
"(Kevin) Gray has few peers and the two-LP set is as sharp a calling card as exists for experiencing how good older recordings can be made to sound when the care and skill of an exceptional mastering engineer is at the helm. If this album doesn't make your stereo sound fantastic, don't blame it on the LPs!" — Music = 4.5/5; Sound = 5/5; Pressing = 5/5; Jacket = 3/5 — Dennis Davis, vinylreviews.com, August 2018
"Humungous conflict of interest alert! I wrote this compilation's liner notes and created the 22 song track order. ... The sources all were high-resolution files, some DSD, some PCM, depending upon what (Chad) Kassem was originally given in the digital domain, or in most cases what Gus Skinas produced in DSD using the original analog tapes. ... This double LP set works well as entertainment and as a great sampler of the LPs mostly released by Analogue Productions and mostly AAA (where there's tape to begin with). You can't go wrong." — Music = 10/11; Sound = 10/11 - Michael Fremer, AnalogPlanet.com
Michael Fremer, of AnalogPlanet.com and Stereophile Magazine, walks you through each track and its historic place with very thorough and entertaining liners. Plating and pressing was done at Quality Record Pressings.
Ever have that moment where you want to really light up your system — either for a late-night session by yourself or for when you've got company — and you don't want to keep changing records to keep the hit parade going? This record ends that issue. You've only got to make one selection.
• 200g Vinyl
• Double LP
• Lacquers Cut By Kevin Gray
• Plated & Pressed At Quality Record Pressings
• Packaged In A Gatefold, Deluxe, Stoughton Tip-On Jacket
• Liner Notes By Michael Fremer
1. Cry Me A River - Julie London
2. Black Coffee - Ella Fitzgerald
3. Poetry Man - Phoebe Snow
4. Son Of A Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
5. Just A Little Lovin' - Shelby Lynne
6. Show Biz Kids - Rickie Lee Jones
7. Crazy - Patsy Cline
8. Tennessee Waltz - Holly Cole
9. Breaking Silence - Janis Ian
10. Hey There - Myra Taylor
11. What A Shame - Patricia Barber
12. Plain Gold Ring - Nina Simone
1. The Moon Is Made of Gold - Rickie Lee Jones
2. Blue Moon - Julie London
3. Blame It On the Moon - Nancy Bryan
4. Diamond and Rust - Joan Baez
5. Somebody Who Loves You - Joan Armatrading
6. Send In the Clowns - Judy Collins
7. Ballad of The Runaway Horse - Jennifer Warnes
8. A Case of You - Diana Krall
9. The Look of Love - Dusty Springfield
10. Brothers In Arms - Joan Baez