Thelonious Monk Brilliant Corners Single-Layer Stereo Japanese Import SHM-SACD
This item not eligible for any further discount offers!
This Single-Layer SHM-SACD can only be played on a Super Audio CD Player!
SHM-SACD (Super High Material SACD) is the ultimate Super Audio CD that
utilizes the materials and technologies that were developed for the SHM-CD to
further enhance the audio-resolution. These discs are made with polycarbonate
developed for the screen of the liquid crystal display. As it has a higher
transparency, players can read the signal more faithfully. Also, it excels in
fluidity, which enables you to cast a more accurate pit. What works wonders for
a low resolution format such as CD should offer even greater sonic improvements
in a real high resolution format such as SACD.
Originally released in 1957, Brilliant Corners contains Monk's own compositions
on his third album on the Riverside label. The complex title track required over
twelve takes in the studio and is considered one of his most difficult
In 2003, the Library of Congress chose Brilliant Corners as one of fifty
recordings to be added to the National Recording Registry. It has also been
included in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die with reviewer
Andrew Gilbert saying it "marked Monk's return as composer of the first order".
The album was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1999 for its historical
• Super High Material Super Audio CD
• SHM-SACD Stereo SACD Layer
• Single-Layer Stereo SHM-SACD, to secure enough reflectance and not to compress DSD file.
• Label of the disc is printed with a special green ink called 'Onsho Shiyou,' which minimizes diffuse reflection.
• Carefully selected master audio is used, from existing DSD files to newly converted from analog tapes.
• This Single-Layer SHM-SACD can only be played on a Super Audio CD Player! It will NOT play on conventional CD Players!
Thelonious Monk, piano
Sonny Rollins, tenor saxophone
Ernie Henry, alto saxophone
Clark Terry, trumpet (5)
Paul Chamber, double bass (5)
Oscar Pettiford, double bass
1. Brilliant Corners
2. Ba-Lue Bolivar Ba-Lues-Are
4. I Surrender, Dear
5. Bemsha Swing