Michael Fremer's 100 Recommended All-Analog LP Reissues Worth Owning - Rated 93/100!
TAS Super LP List! Special Merit: Film and Broadway Score
180g Vinyl Double LP! Pressed & Plated at RTI!
Cut From Original 3-Track Tapes By Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound!
Much has been written about West Side Story, which began as a transmogrification
of Romeo and Juliet as a feud between the Jews and Gentiles living on the East
side in modern-day New York, only to morph into a confrontation between two
street gangs, one American the other Puerto Rican, on the upper West side of the
city. Initially, Leonard Bernstein, its composer, was to have written both music
and lyrics, but Stephen Sondheim was eventually brought in to handle the latter.
With Arthur Laurents contributing the book, and Jerome Robbins devising the
staging, the show opened to great acclaim on September 26, 1957 at the Winter
Garden, where it played 732 performances, and was subsequently revived several
times on Broadway and around the country. But it was the film version, made
three years later with Natalie Wood as Maria, that ensured its popularity
worldwide. Though there are many recorded versions of the percussive score
available, the original cast album, with its fresh, spontaneous performances,
remains the standard by which all others are measured.
"The best known songs here include just about all of them. Even if you don't know the show you've probably heard "Something's Coming," "Maria," "Tonight," "America," "I Feel Pretty" and thawed ahead of its time "Gee Officer Krupke" which references marijuana and cross-dressing and indulges in some curse word fudging—all of which was absolutely outrageous in 1957, which is when the show opened." - Michael Fremer, analogplanet, 11/11 Music, 11/11 Sound
• 180g Vinyl Double LP
• Pressed & Plated at RTI
• Cut From Original 3-Track Tapes By Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound
• Stoughton old style tip-on gatefold jacket includes rare photos from original
1. Prologue - West Side Story Ensemble
2. Jet Song - Mickey Calin
3. Something's Coming - Larry Kert
4. The Dance At the Gym -West Side Story Ensemble
5. Maria - Larry Kert
1. Tonight - Larry Kert, Carol Lawrence
2. America - Chita Rivera, Marilyn Cooper
3. Cool - Mickey Calin
4. One Hand, One Heart - Larry Kert, Carol Lawrence
1. Tonight (Quintet & Chorus) - Chita Rivera, Larry Kert, Carol Lawrence, Mickey
Calin, Ken Le Roy
2. The Rumble - West Side Story Ensemble
3. I Feel Pretty - Carol Lawrence, Marilyn Cooper, Elizabeth Taylor, Carmen
4. Somewhere (ballet) - Larry Kert, Reri Grist, Carol Lawrence
1. Gee, Officer Krupke - Grover Dale, Eddie Roll, Hank Brunjes, David Winters,
2. A Boy Like That / I Have A Love - Chita Rivera, Carol Lawrence
3. Finale - Larry Kert, Carol Lawrence